Delivering Medicines to the Developing World
March 17, 2009 - 12:00 pm -7:15 pm Harvard Law School - All Events in Pound 335 Open to the public - no registration required.
Sponsored by the Harvard Journal of Law & Technology (JOLT) and Harvard chapter of Universities Allied for Essential Medicines (UAEM), the conference will focus on legal and policy issues affecting the distribution of healthcare innovation and essential medicines to the developing world.
The most recognized names in global health and drug access are coming to Harvard Law School to discuss potential solutions to this difficult problem. Our Symposium will be unique in that JOLT, a journal focused on exploring the interface between law and technology, has partnered with UAEM, a social activist group working on drug access to the developing world. This partnership will produce a fair and balanced conference where a diversity of views will be presented in a collegial setting and an intellectually stimulating atmosphere.
View the Complete Schedule of Events (PDF)
- Introduction by renowned scholar Professor William W. Fisher III, WilmerHale Professor of Intellectual Property Law, Harvard Law School, and Director, Berkman Center for Internet and Society
- Ms. Darcy Burner, Democratic Party nominee for U.S. House of Representatives from Washington's 8th District
- Mr. Steve Clemons, Senior Fellow and Director, American Strategy Program, New America Foundation
- Clifford Samuel - Sr. Director of International Access Operations, Gilead Sciences, Inc.
- William Rodriguez, M.D. - Assoc. Director of Int'l Operation Research, Harvard Medical School Division of AIDS
- Howard Zucker, M.D., J.D. - Former Assistant Director-General of the World Health Organization, Former Deputy Assistant U.S. Secretary of Health
- Una S. Ryan - President & CEO, Waltham Technologies, Former President & CEO of AVANT Immunotherapeutics, Inc.
- Jon Andrus, M.D. - Chief, Immunization Unit, Pan American Health Organization
- Amy Kapczynski - Law Professor at UC Berkeley, Founder of UAEM
- James Love - Director of Knowledge Ecology International
- Craig B. Whitney - Attorney, Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Sarah Rimmington - Attorney, Access to Medicines Project
- Dale L. Rieger, Ph.D. - Attorney, Jones Day
- Ashley Stevens - Executive Director, Office of Technology Transfer, Boston University
- Stirling Newberry - Economist, Political Commentator, Advisor to Members of Congress, Blogger
- Aaron Kesselheim, M.D., J.D. - Instructor at Harvard Medical School, Expert on IP/drug access
Panels moderated by Harvard Law School Professors William Fisher, Yochai Benkler, and Ben Roin.